Sunday, December 21, 2008

Update

On Monday, 15 December, 2008 I went into the hospital for surgery on my back. Thanks be to God it went just as the Dr. described to Doug and I in the pre-operative visit the week before. He trimmed away the bulge on the disc between L4 and L5 and reamed out the holes that the nerves pass through to get to my legs. Then he put screws into L4 and L5 and put pins in to stabilize the bones so that there will be no more forward and back motion which was pinching on nerves also. Then he drilled into the back of those two vertebra and put in a titanium "cage" which stibilizes the bone so that it will no longer compress. Finally he took bone and marrow from my right hip and made a paste of that and surgical adhesive and spread that all around so that all would stay in place during the healing process.

I am pleased to say that after a couple of days of pain and having to find a combination of pain meds that would work for me I am now at home and very comfortable. The next obstacle is getting past the constipation that is resulting from all of the and the anesthesia. Then I must just continue healing.

I get around here pretty well with my walker and I have my potty chair that helps me go by myself. Tomorrow Doug is going to get me a shower chair so I can finally take a shower. I haven't had a proper shower since before the surgery.

Please continue your prayers as there is still a few obstacles to overcome and the inactivity is difficult.
I will offer Christmas Mass for all of you.

3 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa H. said...

Dear Ann,
We have been praying that you have had a successful surgery and now a complete recovery. We will continue to pray for you and also your family. Please keep us posted on your recovery. God Bless!!

Kaila said...

You'll be in my prayers.

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

My sister had this surgery a couple of years ago. It really helped her.

She will be having another surgery in January on three neck vertabrae - she broke her ankle years ago cliff jumping in Mexico (yes, that's a true story - ;-)) and we think all of these pains and problems are the result of that injury.

Anyway, I will keep you in my prayers!