Friday, September 7, 2007

Mary-Kate's First Day of School

Yesterday was a day of firsts. It was the first time that one of my children went off to school. (going to college doesn't count) It was the first time that I had to take one of them and drop them off at school and leave them all day long.
Mary-Kate got up yesterday morning early and did her chores, had her breakfast and got ready for school. (she was ready before her mom was, guess who was the most nervous). The she and Matthew and I piled into the car and drove off for Holy Cross Academy. I walked her inside and hugged her by her locker. She was a little nervous but not like I was, but I managed to act like I was cool as a cucumber. The I took her medicines to the office and checked them in and said good-bye to the office staff. (they assured me that they would take good care of my girl) Do they realize that she is my only one? Do they know that she is my precious flower? I hope so. Then Matthew and I went to Mass to pray that she has a good day. Well I prayed for that I don't know what he prayed for. He said that she would be fine and he didn't know what all the fuss was about.
At 1:30 I got into the car and went to pick her up. (I wanted to be there early so that she could find me when she came out. Okay I'm acting like she is in kindergarten and not 12th grade.) She came out all smiles but very tired. It's the first day in several months that she hasn't had a nap in the afternoon. We went to Ebeneezers and had ice cream and chatted about her day. Then it hit her that she had missed what had gone on at home while she was gone. She is after all the one who orders my day for me. That made her sad but she quickly got over that remembering what fun she had at school. I'm glad that today is Friday and we have the weekend together before we have to do a whole week of this in one long stretch.

No comments: