Monday, June 4, 2007

24 Years of Marriage

24 years ago this very day Doug and I were married. We came together in the little church where I had gone to Mass since I was 10 years-old. We stood before our beloved parish priest, Father Morelle, and exchanged our vows.


This morning Doug asked me the same question that he has asked me every year of our life together; "Would I do it again?" Over the years this question has evoked in me different emotions. At times I have been annoyed, flattered, felt he was being romantic, silly, or just tired and didn't want to think about it or answer. I guess at any given time these are normal responses.
Of course I gave him an emphatic "yes!" But such different feelings and thoughts have gone into that question and that answer. The words of the wedding vows have gone through my head many times in the past few months. "In sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, in good times and in bad, for better or worse....." We have certainly gone through all of these situations in our marriage but never more than in the last few months. But here we are together, stronger, I think and growing ever closer to God. If we have learned nothing else in our married life it is that adversity is there for the purpose of sanctification first and foremost.

Here's to at least 24 more.

No comments: